The Abdulla Al Ghurair Foundation (AGF, we, us), a non-profit foundation registered at Unit 06, Level 3, Currency House – Building 1 in the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC), United Arab Emirates, respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it.
This privacy notice will explain how our organization, including our affiliates, uses the personal data we collect from you when you use our website or engage with one of our programs. Information may be collected by partners or third parties that power our programs.
- What data do we collect?
- With whom do we share your information?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- On which basis do we use your information?
- How do we store your data?
- Countries to which we transfer your information
- What are your data protection rights?
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage cookies
- Privacy policies of other websites
- Changes to our privacy notice
- How to contact us
- How to contact the appropriate authorities
What data do we collect?
We may collect the following information from you:
- Personal identification information (for example, name, email address, phone number, etc.);
- For certain programs, details of academic achievement;
- For certain programs, details of employment
- For certain scholarship awards, data about financial need;
- Information following your graduation to form part of AGF’s alumni repository on our website, including which university you graduated from, where you are working / studying / living following graduation and other information you choose to share (i.e. a profile picture)
- Information relating to your use of this website (for example, domain name, IP address and cookies; and
- Any information that you independently choose to provide to us (for example, if you send us an email or respond to a survey).
With whom do we share your information?
We will only disclose or transfer your personal data for the purposes set out in this notice to:
- third party service providers and subcontractors who provide a service to us (including but not limited to evaluation and monitoring to measure the impact of our initiatives; data processing, IT, cloud, and office services);
- any member of our group; and
- any competent authorities if we are legally required to comply with a request for data.
- on the basis of consent, alumni profile data is shared with the public as part of AGF’s alumni repository on our website
How do we collect your data?
We will collect information directly from you that you provide to AGF in the course of our relationship with you. We may collect data and process data when you:
- register online for one of our open programs;
- apply for one of our competitive programs
- attend one of our events
- respond to a survey or another information gathering exercise (i.e., a focus group)
- partner with us on a particular project; and/or
- use or view our website via your browser’s cookies.
Using an appropriate basis, AGF may also obtain this information from the following sources:
- Third-party partners who power our programs such as universities, other non-profit organizations
How will we use your data?
AGF may use or process your personal data for the following purposes:
- to enable you to engage with our education programs;
- to email you with other programs that might be of interest to you;
- to aggregate performance data to measure the impact of our programs and initiatives
On which basis do we use your information?
We use your personal data on the following bases:
- for our legitimate interests. Using your personal data helps us to operate, improve and minimise any disruption to the education programs that we may offer to you and to promote our programs. We also have a legitimate interest in sending you information on the education programs that we believe will be of interest to you;
- because the information is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or to take steps at your request to enter into a contract;
- because you have given your consent (if we expressly ask for consent to process your personal data, for a specific purpose); and
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
How do we store your data?
AGF securely stores your data in our personal servers and the secure servers of our partners who power our programs.
We will keep your data only for as long as is necessary to provide you with our education programs, to respond to any queries or complaints or to comply with any legal obligations to which we may be subject.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve such purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Countries to which we transfer your information
AGF works with international partners to realize our purpose; to elevate livelihoods for youth in the UAE and the Arab Region. The international nature of our activities means that your personal data may be transferred across national boundaries, including to jurisdictions that may not have the same protections with regards to your data as the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) or your home country.
When we transfer your data, we will protect your personal data in line with relevant protection laws. When we transfer your data to a jurisdiction that does not have adequate protections in place, we will put in place a contract with the third party that includes the DIFC Standard Contractual Clauses
If you would like further information about how your data is protected when transferred between jurisdictions, please contact
AGF may send you information about the programs and initiatives of AGF that we think you may be interested in.
If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may always opt out at a later date. You have the right at any time to stop our organization from contacting you for marketing purposes.
If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please click unsubscribe in the email communication or directly email
What are your data protection rights?
AGF would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
The right to access – You have the right to request AGF for copies of your personal information that we process about you.
The right to rectification – You have the right to request that AGF correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request AFGE to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
The right to erasure – You have the right to request that AGF to erase your personal information, under certain conditions.
The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that AGF restrict the processing of some or all of your personal information, under certain conditions.
The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to AGF’s processing of your personal data where it is based exclusively on our legitimate interests (see above) or for direct marketing purposes.
The right to data portability – You have the right to request the receipt or transmission of your personal data to another organization, in a structured and machine-readable format.
Withdraw your consent – You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time to the use of your personal data for a particular purpose (where we have asked you for consent to use your information for that particular purpose).
Subject to any overriding legal obligations, requirements and/or exemptions, we will endeavour to respond to your request within one month of receipt, unless we require further information from you. We may ask you to provide proof of your identity.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at:
What are cookies?
To make this Website function correctly, we sometimes place small data files called “cookies” on your device. This is standard practice for most large websites.
A cookie is a small text file of letters and numbers which is placed and stored on your browser or the hard drive of your computer by websites you visit, if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. Cookies enable the Website to remember your actions and preferences (such as language preferences) over a period of time, so you don’t have to keep re-entering them whenever you come back to the site or browse from one page to another.
Cookies are not used to identify you personally.
What types of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies, however, our website uses:
- Functionality – Our Company uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used.
How to manage cookies?
Please also see our Cookie Notice
Privacy policies of other websites
Our organization website contains links to other websites. Our privacy notice applies only to our website, so if you click on a link to another website, you should read their privacy notice.
Changes to our privacy notice
Our organization keeps its privacy notice under regular review and places any updates on this web page.
This privacy notice was last updated on January 3rd 2023
How to contact us
If you have any questions about AGF’s privacy notice, the data we hold on you, or you would like to exercise one of your data protection rights, please do not hesitate to contact us.
How to contact the appropriate authority
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel that AGF has not addressed your concern in a satisfactory manner, you may contact the DIFC Office of the Commissioner of Data Protection at the Dubai International Financial Centre.